Thursday 13 September 2012

Hotel Room Christmas Crafting

I had a full day and night in Harrogate on my lonesome, and while wandering around the town centre in the morning found myself rifling through the craft magazines at the Newsagent. I picked up 'Homestyle sewing' as I was enticed by it including contents to make 8 Scandinavian style Xmas decorations - I thought it could be a good evenings entertainment in the hotel room.

 
 
Before starting I assembled my new purchase of a camping headlamp - almost every hotel and apartment we stay in has useless lighting for crafting in the evenings, and I've spent too many nights trying to knit under reading lamps or flicking through 12 stations of Swedish tv shows so bored that Family Guy in German becomes the highlight.
 
 
So looking rather ridiculous I settled at the desk and tore open the magazine packet - glanced over the instructions and then flipped to the templates to start cutting, and discovered that 'includes everything' means includes everything with the exceptions that you will also need scissors as the felt is not cut, and a photocopier to enlarge the templates!
 
 

Luckily I had scissors with me, enough drawing skills to free draw a replica of the shapes, and handy the hotel stationery was just the right size to draw the pattern for cutting.


Turns out getting all eight made in one evening was perhaps over ambitious, but I am really happy with the two I finished, the rest are cut out - and I have another couple of evenings entertainment left

 
Not bad for £7.99; eight hand made decorations and then I still have the rest of the magazine to browse for more ideas and patterns - like the cute embroidered felt booties, or the embroidered sleep mask. Really must show some constraint though, and finish what I've started first!


1 comment:

  1. These are really cute! Would have loved to see you in your hotel room, crafting away with your headlamp and hotel stationary. :-)
    x

    ReplyDelete